Saturday, May 31, 2014

Small Autobiography

I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA. I grew up on the south side of Atlanta living with my mom and two sisters. I met my dad at the age of fifteen. I attended Heritage Academy Elementary. I grew up struggling to do well academically. 
In elementary school, I received below average grades and failed most of my tests. In middle school, I received straight C’s until my eight grade year. I strived to do better every year but it was tough due to my bad habits, the people I hung out with, and my terrible comprehension and listening skills.  I was not focused on being a good student and it was hard because my neighborhood is rough. All I see is fights, drugs, and guns being shown off. So to me it only made sense to have my own crew for protection. My mom and step-dad did not have the best influence on me either because they sell drugs themselves. My dad who I met at 15 would call me and come see me from time to time but he saw that street image of me and always told me that I will never make it into college. 
When I left middle school, I joined a summer program called Upward Bound that highly motivated me to take school more seriously so that I could make it into college. I also gained a god mother who gave me advice and motivated me to do well. After leaving the Upward Bound program, I was nervous starting my freshman year. It dawned on me that I would rather take school seriously and avoid being like my parents. I would like to prove everyone wrong rather than being a failure like the men in my neighborhood, on Clevland Avenue, selling drugs. That is when I decided to start hanging with the right people taking my grades seriously. 
I made it to Georgia State through Summer Success Academy shocking my dad and making my mom so proud to the point that she shed tears. It made me realize that anything is possible because I never thought I'd be here today but I am grateful. I made promises to myself and to God. I will be successful and I will not give up until I have reached my destination. I would like to end this by saying thank you for your time today and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment